Preparing your home of business for a hurricane.
SERVPRO knows that when a disaster strikes the cleanup can be overwhelming. As the leader in water damage restoration, SERVPRO knows that fast mitigation is the key to limiting additional damage to your home or business, and in the case of a business, limiting business interruption. With over 1,500 franchises across the country, SERVPRO is faster to any size disaster and can be on-site within a few hours to reduce the amount of secondary damage that can be caused by allowing the water to sit.
In the event of a hurricane here are some tips from FEMA to help you prepare your home:
- Cover all of your home's windows with precut plywood or hurricane shutters to protect your windows from high winds
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, and anything else that is not tied down
- Keep all trees and shrubs well-trimmed so they are more wind resistant
- Turn off utilities as instructed by local authorities.
- Turn off propane tanks
- Ensure a water supply for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing toilets. Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
Preparing your business is a litter different, but these tips from FEMA can help:
- Carefully assess how your company functions, both internally and externally, to determine which staff, materials, procedures and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep the business operating
- Identify operations critical to survival and recovery
- Plan what you will do if your building is not accessible. Can you run your business from a different location or from your home? Can you develop a relationship with other local businesses to use their facilities if a disaster makes your location unusable?
While we all hope for a year free from hurricanes, we know that they are inevitable at times. You can rest assured that SERVPRO of West Orange will be available to assist you with your home or business in the event of a natural disaster.